home page
map
Author-County Index

East Sussex

E.F.Benson (1867-1940) to Lamb House, Rye, East Sussex, three times Mayor of Rye, from 1934-1937; and the Speaker of the Cinque Ports. His name appears on the Mayoral roll in the Town Hall, and he can be seen, in his Mayoral robes, in the West window of St Mary's Church, Rye,(with personal assistant, Charlie Tomlin, and his dog, Taffy) There is a brass plaque in St Mary's Church, on the stall where he sat. This can be found, facing the East window, on the choir stall at the back on the right. Buried In Rye Cemetery, just outside the town, with an excellent view across the fields. Walking up the hill, he is about halfway up, on the right, just past the monkey puzzle tree. If coming from the chapel end, he is down the hill and to the left...

Lewis Carroll (1832-98) Vacations in Llandudno, Guildford and Eastbourne

Warwick Deeping (1877-1950)When Dr Deeping retired in 1900, he and his son moved to Helen's Park in Hastings. The house in Elphinstone Road has survived. It is part of a terrace of three storey houses, superficially much as it was at the turn of the 20th century.(from W.D.Newsletter No. 20)

Winston Graham (1910-2003) Finally lived in Abbotswood House nursing home, Buxted, in East Sussex.

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930). With his two children from Louisa, they all moved from Southsea to a new home called Windlesham, in Sussex. He would spend the rest of his life living in that lovely house while keeping a small flat in London. died at his Crowborough home, Windlesham, in East Sussex, at 8.17 am on July 7th 1930. On July 11th, a fine and sunny day, he was buried in the grounds of Windlesham, just beside his garden hut, which was erected for him as a writing room. Lady Jean Conan Doyle continued to live at Windlesham until her death on 27th June 1940, she was buried at Windlesham in the plot next to Sir Arthur. In 1955 the last of the Crowborough estate grounds were sold out of the family. The remains of Sir Arthur and his wife lady Jean Conan Doyle, were removed and reburied at All Saints Church, Minstead in the New Forest, Hampshire, where they rest to this day.

Sheila Kaye-Smith (1887-1956) Lived as a child in Dane Road, St Leonards which is still a private house and has a plaque. Married a curate Penrose Fry, who later succeeded to a title. After living in London they moved to Little Doucegrove, Northian, East Sussex, a double oast house, which is still there.

George Macdonald (1824-1905) 1857 Hastings, Providence House, Holloway House, Old Road. The other will be by the "Boy on a Dolphin" fountain in Hyde Park close to Hyde Park Corner. This latter will commemorate the friendship of Alexander Munro, George MacDonald and Lewis Carroll with a reproduction of a humorous sketch Carroll drew when Munro was sculpting the fountain, with MacDonald's son as the model.

George Orwell (Eric Blair) (1903-1950) He won a part scholarship to St Cyprian's preparatory school, Eastbourne, Sussex. His fees were topped up by his mother's unmarried brother. Attended Eton, having won a scholarship there from his preparatory school.

William Hale White (Mark Rutherford) (1831-1913) April, 1892 moves to 9, High Wickham, Hastings, 1895 moves to 5 High Wickham, Hastings, 8th May, 1900 moves to Lords Well Lane, Crowborough, 14th June, 1903 moves to The Cottage, Groombridge

Angela Thirkell (1890-1961) Rottingdean.  She spent much time at the home of her Burne-Jones grandparents, North End House.  It is lovingly described in her Three Houses (1931) as is The Elms, also in Rottingdean.  She was of course a cousin of the Kiplings and the Baldwins, and there is quite a lot of material on this at The Grange, Rottingdean. (Kipling lived in Rottingdean from 1897 to 1903 before moving to Burwash because of a lack of privacy). Angela Thirkell died in 1961, still writing, and is buried in the churchyard of St. Margaret's Church in Rottingdean next to her daughter, Mary, who died young. North End
North End

Mary Webb (1881-1927) died in Hastings

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941) Virginia Woolf (1882-1941) Rented and bought houses in the country, in *Sussex*, which were used as holidy homes January 1911 - January 1912, Little Talland House, West Firle, near Lewes, Private January 1912 - 1 September 1917, Asham (or Asheham) House (said to be haunted), Beddingham, south of Lewes, Demolished June - July 1919 (but never lived in by the Woolfs) The Round House, Pipe Passage, Lewes August 1919 - 28 March 1941 Monk's House, Rodmell, East Sussex BN7 3HF. When 37 Mecklenburgh Sq was bombed in August 1940, this became the Woolfs' permanent home. Virginia drowned in the nearby River Ouse on 28 March 1941. She was cremated at Newhaven and her ashes scattered under a tree in the garden of Monk's House. Leonard continued living in the house until his death in 1969. The house is now owned by the National Trust and is open to the public on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 2 to 5.30 pm from March to October 2001 (tel. 01892 890651). For up-to-date information, see: www.nationaltrust.org.uk


 Any addditions please email :
Webmaster, Writersgate Tbank you
Top of Page