| Chawton 1809-17, 1 m S of Alton, Chawton Cottage, the Jane Austen Museum, is owned by Jane Austen Memorial Trust. Opening times may vary, phone: 01420 83262.|
Jane Austen's House, Chawton
(All the pictures for the JAS have been taken by Allan Soedring and Adrienne Bradney-Smith)
| She died at 8 College Street, Winchester,|
now a private house.
|Her memorial window|
in Winchester Cathedral
Other places Jane Austen visited are The Vyne, a Natinal Trust property near Basingstoke, and social gatherings in Basingstoke at the Assembly Rooms. Barclays Bank in Basingstoke stands where the Assembly Rooms used to be. There is a plaque. She was a keen walker and often walked from Steventon along the lane to the Wheatsheaf Inn at North Waltham, to collect the family mail. After leaving Bath, they went to Southampton and rented a house in Castle Square. It is thought to have been sited where the Castle Inn now stands. Both she and Cassandra attended dances at the Dolphin Hotel, which is still open.
Allan, who took many of the above photos, writes: I was photographing Hurtsbourne Tarrant church yesterday for my
architecture pages when I spotted the memorial to the Debary sisters which rang a bell, i.e. the wonderful line in Jane Austen's letter about the state of the road between Ibthorpe and the Parsonage. So I have created a Web page about it, see
His other page with pictures of Jane Austen sites is: Allan's main page
There are two excellent paperbacks on walks connected with Jane Austen:
In the Steps of Jane Austen by Anne-Marie Edwards ISBN 1-85306-123-9
A Rambling Fancy in the footsteps of Jane Austen by Caroline Sanderson ISBN 978-1-86011-328-4
Downloadable Jane Austen walk map around Chawton
|Admiral Sir Francis Austen 1774-1865 5th brother of Jane Austen, ex-Admiral of the Fleet, lived latterly in Wymering. His ghost has been seen at Wymering Manor, standing at the top of these stairs. He was a church warden to the Church of St Peter and St Paul and was great friends of the vicar, Revd. Nugee, who lived at Wymering Manor; the manor dates back to 1042 and features in the Doomsday Book. The Admiral has his grave in the nearby churchyard. His second wife and daughter are also buried there in large tombs. The Admiral's tomb is a flat stone. |
Hampshire Ghost Society
The staircase in Wymering Manor, Old Wymering Lane, Cosham. This house is the oldest house in Portsmouth. It is magnificent.
Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-98) Mrs Reginal Hargreaves, who was Alice Liddell, of Alice in Wonderland fame, is buried at St Michael's Church in Lyndhurst in the family tomb.
Geoffrey Chaucer (1340-1400) In St Mary's Church in East Worldham, near Alton, there is an effigy, which is claimed to be that of Phillipa, wife of Geoffrey Chaucer. Their son was Lord of the Manor here from 1418-1434. The village is not far from the Pilgrim's Way.
William Cobbett (1763-1835) Lived 1805-17 at Botley Hill House, in Botley near Southampton. The church in the town has a diamond shaped clock with a gilded crown. This clock came from the stables owned by William Cobbett, who then lived at Fairthorn Farm. Botley Mill is the site of his gardens and outbuildings.
Inside the Market Hall are two engravings of Cobbett. Opposite the Market Hall on the other side of the square is the Cobbett memorial, put up by the Hampshire members of the institute of journalists to commemorate Cobbett’s time in Botley. He left Botley in 1820.
Extract from Rural Rides, Bedhampton to Fareham. William Cobbett died at Normandy Farm, Ash, near Aldershot in Hampshire. Not far from his birthplace in Farnham. The farmhouse was the present rear part of The Manor House in Normandy Common Lane.
Downloadable William Cobbett walk map around Hawkley
But he came back to research Nicholas Nickleby and spent about three weeks in Old Portsmouth and at the Hard. One of its most touching scenes is set on the downs near Petersfield,where the Portsmouth Road crossed the heights of Butser Hill. Nicholas and Smike joined the company of Mr Crummels in a building which can still be seen near the Queen Elizabeth Country Park on the A3. He came back again in 1866 to give one of his famous readings at a hall in George's Square, near the Hard. Ellen Walton Robinson, neeTernman, his mistress until his death, and a former girlfriend, Maria Sarah Winter are both buried in the Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea.
|Charles Dickens (1812-1870) Charles Dickens Birthplace (February 7th) was 1 Mile End Terrace, Landport, Portsmouth (now 393 Commercial Road).The Museum, open from April - September) Dickens' father, a pay officer in the dockyard rented it from 1809-1812, where he got married to Elizabeth, and they had two children, Frances and Charles. Baptised at St Mary's Church, Fratton. Dickens lived at the house for only five months, his family moved nearer the dockyard and then to Southsea and left Portsmouth when he was two and a half. His brother, Alfred, died when he was two, and is buried in Widley cemetery in Portsmouth. ||Dicken's Birthplace, Portsmouth|
Museum run by local authority but strong Fellowship branches very active there. Museum open daily April-October, 10.00a.m.-5.30pm
Designed by sculptor Martin Jennings, known for his bronzes of John Betjeman in St Pancras and of Philip Larkin |
in Hull, the statue will be placed in Guildhall Square in Portsmouth, the town of Dickens's birth. The great writer
will be seated in a chair next to a pile of books in the statue, said Jennings. "I wanted people to be able to walk up
to it, which they wouldn't be able to do if it was on a high platform. He's sitting in a chair next to a pile of books
which are threatening
to topple over."(The News)
Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) Victorian doctors lived on the fees they charged their patients, so Conan Doyle researched into the locations of other established doctors in the town before setting up as a GP at No. 1 Bush Villas, near the junction of Elm Grove and King’s Road in Southsea. (There is a plaque on Bush House near where he lived.) For the first few months business was slow, but gradually over time Conan Doyle became more well-known as a doctor, advertising his services whenever he could and making sure that his name was mentioned in the newspaper whenever he attended an accident. Arthur Conan Doyle threw himself into the life of the town. He joined the Portsmouth Literary and Scientific Society, and gave public talks on Edward Gibbon, Thomas Carlyle, and George Meredith, among others. He also played for the local cricket and bowls teams, and was the first goalkeeper for the team that became Portsmouth Football Club. While living in Southsea he also began a second career, writing fiction. Beginning with short stories, he moved on to write historical novels including Micah Clarke, and the first two Sherlock Holmes tales, A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four.
|Conan Doyle (1859-1930)|
THE PORTSMOUTH CITY MUSEUM
The Arthur Conan Doyle Collection, Richard Lancelyn Green Bequest
‘A Study in Sherlock: Uncovering the Arthur Conan Doyle Collection’
The exhibition's displays explore the life of Arthur Conan Doyle and the creation of Sherlock Holmes. It features a range of interactive displays, a ‘new’ Sherlock Holmes mystery, and narration by Stephen Fry, the Patron of the collection.
The exhibition is open at Portsmouth City Museum, 10.00am – 5.30pm, Monday to Sunday with free access to all.
City Museum & Records Office
023 9282 7261
In 1955 the last of the Crowborough estate grounds were sold out of the family. The remains of Sir Arthur and his wife lady Jean Conan Doyle, were removed and reburied at All Saints Church, Minstead in the New Forest, Hampshire, where they rest to this day.
Elizabeth Gaskell (1810-1865) 1865
Buys the Lawn at Holybourne, Alton, a county house she had just bought in preparation for her husband's retirement. She died in the house.
Downloadable WH Hudson walk map around Buriton
The Old Mill.
|On the plaque which is white and can just be seen on the white wall. This says "In this house in 1819 John Keats finished his poem The Eve of St Agnes and here in 1820 he spent his last night in England." He stayed in Winchester in the summer and autumn of 1819 and wrote some of his masterpieces there. There is a "Keats Walk" there celebrating his famous ode To Autumn written after such a walk. Keats is also commemorated by a plaque on the wall of the chapel at Stansted House, Rowlands Castle, inscribed with "In this chapel in 1809 the poet, John Keats, 1793-1821, found imagery for The Eve of St Agnes and the Eve of St Mark"He spent last night on English soil in Bedhampton, Havant.|
The Old Mill, Bedhampton
Chapel from the South
Thro' a Window
Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) born at
Field Place, near Horsham in Sussex.
Nevil Shute lived at the Old Mill, Langstone, Havant
Edward Thomas (1878-1917) near Steep 1916. Memorial Windows in churches at Steep and Eastbury, Berks.
Edward lived in Steep & did a lot of walking in the hills & hangars around. His name is on the Steep War Memorial (killed in April 1917), and he is remembered by a stone personal to him on Shoulder of Mutton Hill. The White Horse pub (Pub With No Name) had some relics, but they may have chucked them out, as they are a'changin. There is also a pair of windows in Steep Church engraved to Edward by Lawrence Whistler.
War memorial in Steep Church
|Whistler window. Name can just be seen at top right with hanging coat|
(Please click photos to read inscriptions)
Downloadable Edward Thomas walk map around Steep
Downloadable Flora Thompson walk map around Liphook
Edward Thomas's house.
It has a plaque on the left side of the front door
View from the house
which is on the ridge of Steep Hill
J.R.Tolkien (1892-1973) 1931 Holiday at Milford-on-Sea
Anthony Trollope (1815-1882) in 1827 he went to his father's old school, Winchester. The Warden commemorates the St Cross almshouse.
Percy Francis Westerman (1876 - February 22, 1959)
He was born in Portsmouth in 1876, and educated at Portsmouth Grammar School, before taking up a clerical appointment at Portsmouth Dockyard at the age of twenty. He married Florence Wager, of Portsmouth, in 1900.
Comprehensive blog site for the author
Video, without sound, from British Pathe News
The Submarine Hunters, downloadable
Gilbert White (1720-1793) Download Monks Walk
Downloadable Gilbert White walk map around Selborne
P G Wodehouse (1881-1975)
"Emsworth's Plum" A Short GBiography of P.G. Wodehouse and his connections with Emsworth by Linda Newell, and published by Havant Borough Council is helpful with the connection of P.G. Wodehouse to Emsworth.
|Blue plaques:Hampshire: Threepwood, Record Road, Emsworth, Hants. Wodehouse's home in January 1904. This had been a preparatory school.
P.G. Wodehouse named many of his characters after places in Hampshire, including the Duchess of Havant, Hon. Adelaide Liss, Bobby Wickham, and Lord Arthur Hayling and of course Lord Emsworth.
Museum: Emsworth Museum, Hampshire has a section devoted to Wodehouse. Easter-October, Saturday 10.30-4.30, Sundays 2.30-4.30. Bank Holidays 10.30-4.30. Tel: 01243 378989 Emsworth Museum
"Threepwood" is the family surname of the family at
Blandings Castle: Hon. Freddie Threepwood, Hon. Galahad Threepwood; and his brother is Clarence, the 9th Earl of Emsworth.
Charlotte M Yonge (1823-1901)
There is a pamphlet, Literary Hampshire, produced by Hampshire County Council, 28pp, which includes a map of Hampshire.
|Charlotte M Yonge was born at Otterbourne House, near Winchester, Hampshire, on 11 August 1823. Charlotte was educated at home, initially by her mother, ‘on the Edgeworth system’. In 1862 her brother, Julian, returned with his family, so Charlotte and her mother moved to a neighbouring house, Elderfield. The picture shows the upstairs window from which, it is said, she watched the passers by on the main road. The house is now a hostel. Her gardener lived at Rose Cottage, opposite Edlerfield. Charlotte died of pleurisy, after a short illness, at Elderfield on 24 March 1901, and was buried on the 29th at the foot of John Keble's granite memorial cross in Otterbourne churchyard, John Keble had come to the adjacent living of Hursley in 1836. She presented the lych gate to the church and there is a rood screen erected to the memory of her, between the choir and the congregation. Her chair is still in the church. Charlotte is commemorated in Winchester Cathedral with an ornamental screen dedicated to her|
Any addditions please email : Webmaster, Writersgate Thank you
Top of page