Last updated 3rd January, 2011
home page
map
Author-County Index

Hertfordshire

Francis Bacon (1561-1626) buried and memorial St Albans

Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-98) The great portrait artist and  pioneer film producer Sir Hubert von Herkomer lived and worked in Bushey and the best known portrait of Lewis Carroll was painted by Herkomer, in the town museum in Bushey all his records etc. are held.  He is buried in Bushey Parish Churchyard.

Graham Greene, (1904-1991)

Pictures of Berkhamsted 2004
October 1904 to November 1910 St. Johns, Chesham Road. Plaque recording it as his birthplace but not his years of residence.

November 1910 to September 1922 School House, Berkhamsted School, Castle Street, Berkhamsted
from September 1918 to July 1922 he was a weekly boarder at St Johns.

The King's Arms mentioned in The Ministry of Fear and The Captain and the Enemy

The Swan Inn mentioned in The Captain and the Enemy

The Grand Union Canal mentioned in many of Graham Greene's novels and "A Sort of Life"

The Station, mentioned in The Human Factor and Yours Etc

Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834) As children Lamb and his sister Mary often stayed at Blakesware (demolished 1830), near Wareside, where Mary Field, their grandmother, was housekeeper to the Plumer family. Lamb recalled these visits in his essays 'Blakesmoor in H----' and ' Dream Children'. Mary Field is buried at Widford and the pub here contains some Lamb memorabilia. The Lambs also visited their Great Aunt Gladman at Mackery End, Wheathampstead, and their adventures there are described by Mary in Mrs Leicester's School (1808) and by Charles in ' Mackery End' (1820). At Cherry Green, along a no-through road from Westmill, lies 'Buttonsnap', a cottage owned by Lamb which he sold for the paltry sum of fifty pounds in 1815. He had inherited the property in 1812 but never lived there. It was acquired by the Charles Lamb Society from the Royal Society of Arts in 1949 but was sold in the 1980s and is now a private residence. Note the bread oven. Two plaques on the cottage commemorate the association with Lamb and in 1965 a medallion portrait, which had originally come from a bank in Chancery Lane, was re-erected in the garden.

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) moved to The New Rectory (now Shaw's Corner) at Ayot Saint Lawrence in 1906. Commemorated in Dublin and Ayot St Lawrence.
Shaw left the house to the National Trust.
 Shaw's Corner

Anthony Trollope (1815-1882) In December, 1859 moved to Waltham House in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, now surveyor general in the Post Office. He stayed there for twelve years. The multi-purpose house became a convent before being knocked down in 1936. A bingo hall marks the spot.

Charles Williams (1886-1945) was brought up at 15 (now 36) Victoria Street, St. Albans; there may be a plaque there commemorating this.


 Any addditions please email :
Webmaster, Writersgate Thank you
Top of Page