home page
map
Author-County Index

Shropshire

Randolph Caldecott (1846-1886) worked as a Bank Clerk in Whitchurch. A selection of his work is on permanent show at the Heritage Centre, Whitchurch. On leaving school at the age of fifteen, Randolph went to work at the Whitchurch branch of the Whitchurch & Ellesmere Bank and took lodgings at Wirswall, a village near the town. He worked at Whitchurch for six years. In his spare time and when he was out visiting clients he was often to be seen walking and riding around the countryside; many of his later illustrations incorporate buildings and scenery of that part of Cheshire. ** His love of riding led him to take up hunting and his experiences in the hunting field and his love of animals bore fruit over the years in the masses of drawings and sketches of hunting scenes, many of them humorous.
A selection of his work is on permanent show at the Heritage Centre, Whitchurch: for more info see
Whitchurch

The Fox and the Parson

Housman (1859-1936), His ashes were buried against the north wall of St Lawrence's Church, Ludlow and a statue of him was erected in Bromsgrove High Street in 1985.

Philip Larkin (1922-1985) Librarian at Wellington, Shropshire, 1943.

D H Lawrence (1885-1930)Lawrence in St. Mawr has Pontesbury for most significant scenes, in particular the Devil's Chair.

Barbara Pym (1913-1980) born 2nd June, 1913, at 72 Willow Street, Oswestry. Family moved to Morda Lodge on the Southern outstkirts of the town in 1919. 1941-3 working in Bristol

Wilfred Owen (1893-1918) born 18th March 1893, Plas Wilmot, near Oswestry, on 18.3.1893, edu. the Birkenhead Institute and at Shrewsbury Technical College. Killed on the Sambre Canal a week before the armistice.

Mary Webb (1881-1927) born at Leighton Lodge, Leighton, moved to The Grange, just outside Much Wenlock. Educated in Southport 1897-9. Later moved to Stanton-on-Hine-Heath, NE of Shrewsbury. Married in 1912. Moved to Maesbrook, in Meole Brace, near Shrewsbury. Returned to rent Rose Cottage, Hinton Lane, Pontesbury. Died in Hastings buried in Shrewsbury. The MWS has commissioned a beautiful bronze plaque to Mary Webb which is sited on a piece of Wenlock limestone at the rear of the Guild Hall in Much Wenlock. This was unveiled in 2000 as part of our Millennium celebrations by Ian and Donald Meredith (nephews of MW). Please see pictures on web site. There is a permanent Mary Webb exhibition in the Guild Hall. Opened April 1st 2001.

P G Wodehouse (1881-1975) from Hong Kong to Dulwich and then to Hay's House, Stapleford in Shropshire, few miles north of Bridgnorth in 1900. Origin of Blandings Castle, possibly Buildwas, a mile or so up the Severn from Ironbridge, or perhaps Weston Park on Shropshire/Staffordshire border. Actual castle, perhaps Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire. Worbury, perhaps Worfield, Eckleton, Ackleton and Bridgeford on Bridgnorth.
Weston Park
Weston Park, Weston-under-Lizard, near Shifnal, Shropshire.
Open to the public.
The grounds were used by Wodehouse to create the Blandings estate.


 Any addditions please email :
Webmaster, Writersgate Thank you
Top of page