home page
map
Author-County Index

Somerset and Avon

Jane Austen (1775-1817)
Stayed with her aunt and uncle when a child at 1, The Paragon, a curved terrace of 18th century houses. Later, Jane and her mother spent a holiday with Edward Austen and his family at No. 13, Queen Square. Taken to the Assembly Rooms (no photo as yet!) and the house is within easy reach of the Pump Room and the Paragon.
1, The Paragon
The Paragon
4, Sydney Street

4 Sydney Place
In 1801, on the retirement of Mr Austen, the Austen family moved to Bath and lived for three years at 4 Sydney Place at the eastern end of Great Pulteney Street.
and then 3 Green Park Buildings East, 1804-05. From there they moved to 25 Gay Street shown here.
They finally moved to Trim Street in 1806.
25 Gay Street 25 Gay Street
St Swithin's Church, Walcot
Revd. Austen is buried in
the churchyard of St Swithin's, Walcot, where he and Cassandra Leigh had been married on 26th April, 1764.

Revd Austen's tombstone

Revd Austen's tombstone
Revd. Austen's Memorial Plaque
Revd. Austen's Memorial Plaque
Many maps including a Walking Tour of Bath, downloadable.

Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-1849) born 30 June 1803 in Clifton, 3 Rodney Place, now part of Greater Bristol.

Thomas Bewick (1753-1828) He visited Bath in his later years.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834) 1794 lived with Sara in a cottage at Clevedon, where their first son Hartley, was born. Between July 1797 and Sept. 1798 they lived and worked intimately together; the Coleridges at Nether Stowey, Somerset, and the Wordsworths two miles away at Alfoxden, on the edge of the Quantock hills, where they were visited by Lamb, Hazlitt, and others.

The Coleridge Cottage
Coleridge's Cottage, Nether Stowey
After a physical and spiritual crisis at the Greyhound Inn, Bath, in the winter of 1813-14, Coleridge achieved a rebirth of his Christian beliefs, openly admitted his opium addiction, submitted himself to a series of medical régimes, and began slowly to write again.

George Alfred Henty (1832-1902) Empire and Commonwealth Musem, Bristol has an exhibition about Henty's work from time to time.

Robert Francis Kilvert (1840-79) He was educated latterly at Claverton Lodge School, Bath, run by his uncle Francis Kilvert. Visited Weston-Super-Mare in September 1872 and attended Trinity Church, "and heard Mr Hunt preach."
1782 The Kilvert family (2 generations back from R.F.Kilvert) probably moved to Bath, Westgate Street. Little later moved to the newly developing suburb of Widcombe, at Caroline Buildings. At No. 15, his grandmother lived and Kilvert probably received education from brother Francis who opened his first school there. St Mary's Parish Church, Bathwick has two plaques in the south aisle commemorating Kilvert relatives. Claverton Lodge was owned by Uncle Francis, who set up a school in 1837. Kilvert may have been prepared for Oxford there.

Landor (1775-1864) m in Bath 1811, lived in Bath 1838-58. Commemorated in Bishop's Tachbrook and Warwick. . In the city of Bath, where Landor resided for many years, there is a plaque commemorating his residence on the wall of 35 St James's Square. alongside, there is also a plaque recalling the fact that Dickens stayed at Landor's apartment in 1840 and at other times. (In the early years of the twentieth century a plaque recalling Landor's residence was unveiled outside Number 3 Rivers Street, then called "Land House". However this plaque is no longer in situ and since the house was slightly damaged by enemy action, it may have been transferred after the Second World War to 35 St James Square.) South Parade, Bath 1809 (also other lodgings in Great Pulteney Street, South Parade etc) 35 St James Square, Bath --lodgings from 1837-49, 3 Rivers Street, Bath - first floor lodgings - 1849-1858

E.J. Oxenham (1880-1960) holidays in Somerset

Anthony Powell (1905-2000) lived at the Chantry, near Frome, Somerset 1952-2000, died there 28 March 2000

The Chantry
The Chantry
The Chantry Church
The Chantry Church
Inside the Church

Inside the Church
The
Memorial Tablet

Many thanks to Dr Keith Marshall for the photographs.

Barbara Pym (1913-1980) December 41-43, The Coppice, now called Leigh House, Clifton, overlooking the Suspension Bridge.

J.R.Tolkien (1892-1973) 1916 Honeymoon at Clevedon

Parson Woodforde (1740-1803) born and curate in Ansford

William Wordsworth (1770-1850) 1797, July, moved to Alfoxden House, Nether Stowey, Somerset.


 Any addditions please email :
Webmaster, Writersgate Thank you
tOP OF PAGE